Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Relaxing Day

6/8/14
Sorry in advance for the late posting... turns out Tanzanian internet is not so reliable and with all the new students who have come, the wifi is super slow.

Nothing much happened today, most of the first week students were still on the weekend safari, so there were few people at the house.  This gave me the perfect opportunity to wash my dusty safari clothes, as well as the other ones I had been wearing.  The washing area is outside at the back of all the houses.  It consists of a cement wall about waist-high with two faucets sticking out above and large, round, plastic buckets in which we wash out clothes.  After we finishing washing, we dump the water out on the ground and it drains through a pipe (and just washes down the hill away from the houses), and then the laundry is hung on a long line.  I am definitely experiencing every aspect of African life on this trip.

Around 5pm, 23 new students came by bus and we helped them settle in and bring in their suitcases.  Since my two roommates left, I had the room to myself on Saturday night and last night, had three new roommates who are all very sweet.  While the newbies had their orientation, the rest of us played volleyball right outside the main house.

For dinner, our cook, Akiba, made omelets with chips (omelets with French fries cooked it... yeah, weird for me too), confetti rice, beef stew, fresh salad (which is tomatoes, green peppers, onions, and cucumbers), peas/lentils in a type of coconut sauce (though it doesn't taste much like coconut, but still very good), mashed purple yams, and one other dish that I don't remember... it may have been something with fish.

I also did a night shift at the hospital with about 6 other students, but not much was happening and we had to wait an hour before seeing a natural birth.  We left after, because by that time it was late and nothing else was going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment